In the early 1900s Mrs Mary Chrystie, a well known Bookham resident, donated a plot of land at the entrance of Burnhams Road with Little Bookham Street. There would seem to have been a ‘parish room’ of some description on the site at the time which was also bordered by The Fox public house both of which have long since been demolished.
The Hall was built in 1906 and recorded with the Charity Commissioners in September 1919. It was run – and still is – by a group of Trustees who are all local residents whose job is to ensure that the Hall is run in a fit and proper manner. It is well used by a good number of local groups ranging from keep fit classes (very popular) to the Little Bookham WI and on to the local Brownie pack. And lots more.
After some 100 years of service to the community the Hall needed a major refurbishment. After a detailed inspection and survey, the Trustees retained the services of an architect and the work was done replacing the old heating system, lighting, toilets to include a new disabled toilet, redecoration, improved storage facilities for users and a better kitchen area.
We were helped generously by grants from Surrey CC and Mole Valley DC of over £20,000 along with donations from other local charities as well as local businesses together with fund raising activities.
The final touch was providing a car park in the front of the hall for about 10 vehicles. We now have an attractive village hall. Any individuals or organisations who would like to hire the hall should make contact with the Bookings Secretary Meg Frost (374481).